UNIVERSITY OF RIRAEUS
Web site: www.unipi.gr
UNIVERSITY OF PIRAEUS RESEARCH CENTRE
The University of Piraeus Research Centre (UPRC) is the Research Funding Administrative Unit of the University of Piraeus as established by the Senate decision of 30.06.1983, according to the Presidential Decree 432/81, as amended by the 679 / 22.08.1996 Joint Ministerial Decision of the Ministers of Finance and Education and Religious Affairs.
The purpose of the Unit is the allocation and management of funds intended to cover expenditure of any kind necessary for the needs of research, educational, developmental, continuing education projects as well as projects providing scientific, artistic and technological services, performing tests, measurements, laboratory tests and analyses, drafting specifications on behalf of third parties, as well as other related services or activities that contribute to linking education and research with production and are provided by the University of Piraeus scientific staff alone or with the cooperation of other relevant stakeholders, domestic companies, institutions and Ministries.
The University of Piraeus Research Centre (UPRC), within the institutional framework that leads its operation, has set the goal of becoming a modern and internationally recognized research center that will contribute to the promotion and recognition of the University of Piraeus as one of Europe’s leading universities. As part of its mission, the University of Piraeus Research Centre is working to achieve the following objectives:
- The essential contribution to the modernization and development of the Greek Economy and Society in general, through conducting research and applied studies.
- The most effective training and vocational training in Economics, Business Organization and Management, Statistics and Insurance, Financial and Banking Management, Technology and Production Systems, Maritime Studies, European and International Studies, Technology and Digital Systems and others, with state-of-the-art facilities and tools and highly experienced university instructors.
- Cooperation with other Higher Education Institutes and Research Centers in Greece and abroad.
- Support for the Postgraduate Programs of the University of Piraeus.
- The creation and support (scientific and organizational) of Postgraduate Studies Departments abroad, in fields of knowledge in which the University of Piraeus has specialized knowledge.
- The execution of basic and applied research by the University of Piraeus Teaching and Research Staff and PhD candidates, through an integrated framework of actions to enhance the Institute’s research activity.
- The reward of the University’s students for their educational and research performance.
- Supporting the publication of scientific journals as well as educational books.
- The organization of conferences, symposia and workshops on scientific and social issues.
Since its inception, the UPRC has completed more than 1,000 research projects, educational programs and development projects funded by the European Union, the General Secretariat for Research and Technology, Ministries, Banks, Public and Private Sector Organizations. Projects completed or currently implemented include: Basic and Applied Research, Postgraduate Programs, Infrastructure Development Programs, Continuing Training Programs, Conferences, Events, Student Internships, Studies, etc.
The participation of the University of Piraeus in the project “Intelligent Research Infrastructure for Shipping, Supply Chain, Transport and Logistics (EN.I.R.I.S.S.T.)” is implemented through the Transportation Systems Laboratory (http://www.transportationsystems.eu) of the Department of Maritime Studies.